2015-2016 Tour Speakers
MAS provides interesting technical speakers for meetings of its Affiliated Regional Societies (AReS).
The 2015-2016 MAS Tour Speakers and the titles of their talks are shown below. View the speakers' abstract and bio by clicking on the links.
- Thomas Kelly, MAS president 2014-2016, “Applications of Atom Probe Tomography Across the Materials Spectrum” OR “Toward Atomic Scale Tomography”
- Masashi Watanabe, MAS president-elect 2015-2016, “Theoretical Evaluation of Atomic-Resolution X-ray Analysis toward Quantification.”
- Lucille A. Giannuzzi, President, EXpressLO, LLC "Theory and Applications of FIB Specimen Preparation"
- Vincent S. Smentkowski, GE-Global Research, "Surface Microscopy and Microanalysis in an Industrial Research and Development Laboratory: General Electric Global Research Center"
Remember that all arrangements by Affiliated Regional Societies for Tour Speakers must be made through the MAS AReS Director. If the designated Tour Speakers is not appropriate for your meeting, please contact the AReS Director to discuss alternative arrangements.
From the Tour Speaker committee chair:
In 2015-2016, and hopefully going forward, the Tour Speaker Program will focus on topics of interest in addition to designated speakers. We believe this will provide more latitude for speakers in that their commitment to the Society need not be an entire year or more. Ever-changing career responsibilities and sometimes less than receptive employers may prevent some excellent candidates from making a long-term commitment; however, they might be able to make a one- or two-visit commitment.
Based on the feedback at the M&M 2015 AReS luncheon, here are our leading topics:
- microscopy/analysis in fuel cell technology
- correlative microscopy/analysis
- in-situ/fluid cell microscopy/analysis
- catalysis studies using aberration correction
- Scientific conservation
- Vendor symposia (applications-based)
Also, to add even more flexibility, if an AReS group knows of a specific speaker they would like to hear, and that speaker is a MAS member in good standing, we will make every effort to secure that person for a specific meeting request.
Any suggestions for the Tour Speaker program are welcomed. This program belongs to the Society membership, and we want to remain flexible in our approach to the program so that the regional societies benefit from our rich and varied member-based expertise.